Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law requires that we provide, all of the following:
• an 8 hour course of instruction
with 6 hours of classroom instruction and at least 2 hours on the firing range.
• participants learn how different handguns work, the rules for safe handling of a handgun, and the proper storage and handling practices for Handguns and ammunition.
• Students are given a handbook on Ohio Concealed Carry, and we go over the rules and regulations VERY THOROUGHLY. It is our goal to insure that each of our students knows and understands the Ohio Concealed Carry laws before they apply for their permit.
* NOTE: Any course that is shorter in classroom or range time does not meet Ohio's Legal Requirements, and should be avoided!
Who Can obtain an Ohio Handgun License (CHL) ?
· Any law abiding resident of the State of Ohio, at least 21 years of age, and a resident for at least 30 days.
· You must pass a criminal background check. Certain violent crimes, drug offenses, etc. will disqualify an applicant.
· You must obtain certified training from a training facility such as S&H Firearms and Supplies.
What if I have never fired a handgun before?
· Prior shooting experience IS NOT NECESSARY. S&H Firearms is staffed by both NRA Certified Instructors and OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) teaching the NRA Basic Pistol course and the OPOTA Course, the course is blended together. This Course is outlined with the beginner in mind, teaching all of the basics of pistol shooting from top to bottom. It includes instruction in how different handguns work, how to grip, sight and shoot a handgun properly, and does include at least two hours of live fire shooting on our private shooting range for S&H Firearms and Supplies students only.
What if I already know how to shoot a handgun?
• Experienced shooters will benefit from the review of Fundamentals, and most students tell us they greatly improved their shooting skills after taking our course.
We also cover the Ohio Concealed carry rules and regulations VERY THOROUGHLY, to be sure every student feels comfortable about concealed carry for personal protection. Our Legal portion is presented by the Ohio Gun Lawyer.
Is it safe to learn to shoot?
• A VERY HIGH emphasis is placed on handgun safety. After completing the course, students will be have the skills, and the confidence to go to any shooting range to practice and improve their shooting or come back to our range.
We can host special events at our facilities for Bachelor & Bachelorette Parties, Business Outings and Social Groups, contact us for details.